November has been a rollercoaster of a ride, hasn’t it?
I turned 30, released my first book, watched an amazing Champs weekend, woke up to the news that Trump won the U.S election, had food poisoning/norovirus, played against Paris Roller Girls, fouled out for the first time in my derby career, was awarded the Spirit Award, Pidge has been poorly and I got to hang out with my old teammates watching some of my new teammates kick ass at Road to TBC….. Phew!
Now, December is upon us and Xmas on the horizon. Which means it’s almost 2017… WHERE HAS THIS YEAR GONE?! For many of us, 2016 can just end already! But it hasn’t been all bad. Some good stuff has happened along with the bad. So lets try our best to focus on the good stuff and enjoy the off-season.
Now, onto the links:
- Rogue Runner had an absolute stunner of a Champs, even if London didn’t get the result they wanted. In this series, she goes into the details behind that jam and talks about her training and how that has translated into game day.
- It’s now the off-season (or off-ish season!) and Sandrine Rangeon has a load of great tips for making the most out of it.
- November has been unofficial Mental Toughness Month as decided by me. You can read about why mental toughness is important, especially for Freshies, here.
- Talking of mental toughness, Brickyard turns that frown upside down by offering a different perspective on disappointment.
- I might as well shoe-horn in another article about mental toughness because why not! It is preeeeetty important and will go a long way to making you a better skater if you can start to get a grip on that pesky brain of yours.
- Merry Khaos (apt seasonal name) wrote a thing about B teams and why they are more that *just* B teams. B teams are feeders and breeders for the A team, they create a space for people who aren’t able or don’t want to compete at a high level, give people lower pressure experience and help support the A team in a million ways. B teams are just as vital as A teams for a league and should be treated with the same respect as an A team.
- If you have a long commute – derby or non – why not make the most of your journey by sticking some podcasts on? These ones are all about mindset. They’re aimed at business-types but easily transfer to other areas including sport.
- Derby has become much more than a sexy, fish-net clad nirvana for misfits and outcast but that inclusive anything-goes vibe still lives on within it’s serious and athletic incarnation.
- Kettlbells are great and here are a massive list of different KB moves!
- Double H is a derby institution and it was great to see her picked to be the play-by-play announcer role at Champs this month, “putting a small crack in the glass ceiling of sports announcing”. It’s about damn time that women were taken seriously and given the serious jobs in sports, we are just as knowledgable and stats-minded as guys! #FeministAgenda
- LAwwwwl..Yes, we know it’s technically ‘foul out’ but lets not be pedants for a sec and just have a laugh, please!
- If you’ve got siblings, you can learn a lot about sports!
- Here’s blocker dream team, Serelson & Mick Swagger doing what they do best: making jammers regret the day they became a jammer.
Happy clicking guys.